You might not realize everything we do to help keep our patients-and ourselves-safe. That’s why we’d like to take this opportunity and explain the many steps we always follow in more detail as well as the additional precautions we’ve implemented specifically to address COVID-19.
How We Sanitize Exam and Treatment Rooms:
Before you enter the exam room, all surfaces have been cleaned and disinfected. This includes but is not necessarily limited to the dental chair, light, drawer handles, and countertops. Basically, we sanitize everything that has been touched or could have been touched. Any protective covers that are necessary are replaced as well. The chemicals we use are professional grade and designed specifically for clinical environments. We also wash our hands frequently and always before seeing patients.
How We Sanitize Instruments:
Just as in Doctors offices or hospitals, we use certain non-disposable items like handpieces and other instruments. These are all carefully cleaned and sanitized using special equipment in a designated area of our practice. It’s not like washing dishes at home. We use precision tools like ultrasonic baths to thoroughly clean our instruments, and high-temperature autoclaves to sanitize them. We also use tests and indicators to monitor these processes, and visually inspect instruments at every step. Once again, cleaners, detergents, and other chemicals being used are designed specifically for clinical, not household use.
How We are Responding to COVID-19:
We’re taking extra precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including:
- Cleaning our office using products from the EPA’s list of registered disinfectants for use against COVID-19.
- Carefully following all national, state, and local guidelines, including the CDC’s specific recommendations for our care providers to use personal protective equipment.
- We will send you a Covid 19 questionnaire to complete prior to your appointment so we can properly screen all patients and parents that are entering the building.
- We are also screening patients and parents prior to all appointments.
- Not allowing any staff members to work if they are experiencing any respiratory symptoms.
- Taking extra care to regularly wipe down common touchpoints like door handles.
- Streamlining our procedures for check-in, removing unnecessary items from our reception area, asking patients to come with one parent to their appointments, and making accommodations for patients who prefer to wait outside or in their vehicles.
How We are Protecting Ourselves:
We would not be providing care if we were concerned that we could not do so safely. The comprehensive steps we’ve always used to clean, sanitize and create a healthy environment continue to protect us today. We believe the additional actions we’re taking to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are effective, including carefully following the CDC’s guidelines. Just like you, we have family and loved ones who rely on us, so working safely is extremely important to us.
How We are Welcoming You back:
You will notice some changes in advance of your next appointment. We’ll be calling or texting you prior to your arrival to screen you for any symptoms which would require you to postpone your appointment, and direct you to your healthcare provider for treatment. We can also answer any questions you may have and explain our new procedures for when you arrive. We will screen you and your child in person for symptoms prior to your appointment. While these steps are inconvenient, they are necessary to ensure we’re doing everything we can to protect all of our patients as well as our team.