Kids should start going to the dentist when they get their first tooth or no later than their first birthday. In fact, early visits help children get comfortable with being in the dental chair and can actually set them up for a lifetime of healthy smiles. But we do understand that coming to the dentist, especially for the first time, can make kids a little nervous. However, finding the best pediatric dentist in Tucson for your child can make all the difference.
What to Look For When Picking a Kid’s Dentist
Searching for a kid’s dentist can be overwhelming, so let’s take a look at some of the ways you can narrow down your list in order to find the best dentist for your child:
- Ask Friends – Sometimes finding the best dentist for your little one is as easy as talking to friends, co-workers, or family members.
- Read Reviews – Read online reviews of any dental offices you find either from your friends or from an online search to see what your neighbors are saying.
- Check Out The Environment – Look at office photos Does it look kid-friendly? Are there areas designed with kids in mind?
- Get a Feel for The Personality – Once you narrow down your choices, schedule an appointment with your top choice and pay attention to how the team interacts with both you and your children.
Choosing a Special Needs Pediatric Dentist in Tucson
If you’re the parent or caregiver of a child with special needs, look for a pediatric dentist that has additional training and experience working with kids with advanced needs. Special needs dentistry is a specialized type of dental care that focuses on getting children with special health care needs (SHCN) appropriate care. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) classifies special health care needs as any “limiting condition that requires medical management, health care intervention, and/or use of specialized services or programs.” These conditions can take on a variety of forms, including:
- Sensory/Mental Impairment
All children should visit a dentist at least twice a year to protect their oral health. These preventive checkups allow your dental team to monitor tooth development and check for early signs of any problems such as decay. After all, early intervention is key to quicker, easier treatment.
When it comes to the oral health of your child, there’s perhaps no better way to protect it than finding the right pediatric dentist. At our Tucson pediatric dental office, we’re here to take care of little smiles of all kinds, including our most special patients. Give us a call to schedule an appointment!